No matter how hard we might try, most of us don’t eat a perfect diet every day. Life gets in the way, and that’s okay! Our nutritional needs change with different life stages, but a varied diet rich in fruits, vegetables, wholegrains, healthy fats, and plant-based sources of protein is the best way to create a foundation for good health. To meet your body’s regular nutritional needs each day, you should aim to consume:
- A variety of colourful fruits and vegetables
- At least 3L of water (preferably filtered)
- Essential fatty acids from foods such as nuts, seeds, avocado or oily fish
- Protein for cell maintenance and muscle repair
- Complex carbohydrates for energy
- Fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins
- Essential minerals such as Iron, Calcium and Zinc
- Gut-loving probiotic foods (such as yoghurt and fermented foods) and prebiotic foods (such as garlic, onions, and bananas)
While we should always aim to get our nutrients from food first, a high-quality wholefood supplement is a convenient way to fill nutritional gaps in your diet. So, what’s the difference between a wholefood supplement like Raw and other big-name synthetic supplements?
- Wholefood supplements are made from (you guessed it) whole foods. These nutrients are made by condensing and concentrating specific fruits, vegetables, and other natural foods into a convenient form that’s easy for your body to recognise, absorb and use.
- Synthetic supplements are made artificially in a laboratory setting or industrial process. They’re made from chemical compounds that mimic the natural way the body absorbs nutrients from foods, which means they’re not as easily recognised or used by the body.
So, when you’re standing in the supplement aisle, how can you tell the difference between the two? It’s all right there in the ingredients list. Take a Vitamin C supplement, for example:
Synthetic Vitamin C Supplement
Ingredients: Ascorbic acid from calcium ascorbate dihydrate (Vitamin C).
Ingredients: Wholefood Vitamin C Blend (Organic Acerola Berry Juice Powder*, Organic Baobab Powder*, Organic Camu Camu Powder*, Organic Grape Juice Powder*, Immune Support Herbal Extract Blend [Rosehip, Turmeric, Ginger], 100% Australian Orange Juice Powder, Kakadu Plum Powder.), Organic Jerusalem Artichoke Inulin Powder*, Organic Acacia Gum Powder*, Natural Flavour, Organic Guar Gum Powder*, Organic Stevia Leaf Extract Powder*. *Certified Organic.
This is one example where a shorter ingredients list doesn’t necessarily mean it’s healthier for you. Basically, if there’s not a food source, it's probably synthetic. Words that end in ‘ide’ or ‘ate’ or start with ‘di’ usually indicate synthetic ingredients.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when introducing a new supplement into your diet:
- Consult your healthcare practitioner first (they will be able to do a simple blood test to find out which nutrients you’re lacking).
- Do your research to find a reputable brand you can trust.
- Read the ingredients list closely – you’re looking for real foods, not synthetics.
- Find a way to integrate it easily into your day – whether that’s first thing in the morning before you walk out the door, with your lunch at work, or as part of your night-time routine.
- Don’t think that any supplement can replace the value of eating healthy, nutritious meals! Supplements are there to complement a well-rounded diet and help you conveniently cover your bases.
Here’s a snapshot of some of the Certified Organic real food ingredients you’ll find in our Raw Wholefood Extracts range:
- Organic Acerola Berry, Baobab, Camu Camu, Grape Juice, Rosehip, Turmeric, Ginger, Orange Juice, and Kakadu Plum
- Organic Spirulina, Alfalfa Gras, Chlorella, Wheatgrass, Barley Grass, Kale, Spinach, Apple, Pineapple and Lemon
- Organic Beetroot, Curry Leaf, Acerola Berry, Guava Leaf, Coconut MCTs, Bamboo Silica, Passionflower, and Schisandra
- Organic Baobab, Jerusalem Artichoke, Mesquite, Lucuma, Fermented Mung Beans, Fermented Brown Rice, Fermented Red Lentils, Fermented Chickpeas, and Fermented Flaxseeds
Our entire range is:
- Australian Certified Organic
- Free from gluten, added sugar, dairy, additives, preservatives, GMOs, and synthetics.