Did you know that indoor air is 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air?Here are 8 easy ways you can detox your home and make it a safe place for your family.
- Populate your home with indoor plants! Air-cleaning plants don't just make your rooms look pretty but also detox your home by removing pollutants.
- Switch to all-natural, non-toxic household cleaning products – or make your own all-purpose cleaner by mixing vegetable-based liquid soap with a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Choose your cosmetics wisely – try switching to natural, fragrance-free skin and hair products (including aluminium-free deodorant) or even make your own!
- Wash your fruit and veggies! Simply combine 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp baking soda and 1 cup water in a spray bottle. Spray your produce and allow to sit for 2-5 minutes before rinsing under cold water.
- Invest in a good-quality water filter, particularly if your home has lead pipes or brass faucets.
- Minimise exposure to plastics by investing in stainless steel or glass food storage containers and reusing old mason jars. Be sure to avoid all plastics marked with a 7, which may contain BPA, and never put BPA-containing plastics in the microwave or dishwasher.
- Swap artificial air fresheners for an essential oil diffuser to eliminate odours and reap a range of health benefits – from improved sleep to reduced stress and anxiety.
- Regularly check for mould, which is common in any damp area in the home, such as bathrooms and basements.