Shine Brighter with Us
Shine Brighter with Us
How to support your immune system with Zoe Dent
We're so excited to share our Q+A with ambassador Zoe Dent, on how to best support your immune system. Zoe understands the pressures and stress that can compromise health. Passionate about all forms of health; mental, physical, spiritual and environmental.
Also a mother to two vibrant children, and wife nourishing food and herbal medicine provides a vital support to her family. We're so excited to share with you her best tips to support you and your family's immune system!
How do you keep your family healthy during this time?
The simple foundations of good health- diet, exercise and rest- are key all year around and so I ensure my family eats a whole food diet free from processed foods with a variety of vegetables and fruit at its core. We are lucky to be living in a beautiful part of the world, with an abundance of beaches and nature walks at our doorstep and so most mornings we start the day with movement, ideally outside in the sunshine for added Vitamin D, connecting with the healing power of nature. The constant ‘on’ switch of modern living wears down the best of us and when we are stressed the immune system's ability to fight off antigens is reduced. The upside of this pandemic is that globally we have been forced to slow down, take gratitude in the simple things and spend more time with our immediate family, all elements key to healthy living.
What are your best tips to eat as nutritionally as you can during lock down?
It is actually the perfect time to commit to a new eating paradigm. With the usual temptations of nights out, takeaway meals or eating on the run removed, we can all commit to the basics of simple, home cooked, whole food meals. Fresh, whole foods remain in abundant supply, there are lots of produce box delivery options available, and it is much harder to overeat with a whole food plant-based diet of vegetables and fruit. Instead it is the ultra-high processed snack foods that’s are often the problem, with their seductive combination of fat, sugar and salt that is designed to be addictive and encourage you overeat. If you enjoy sitting down to a proper balanced meal filled with vegetables and topped with some healthy fats and protein then snacking or overeating will not be an issue. Keeping well hydrated is also key; we often mistake thirst for hunger. Mix up water with herbal teas or add some RAW prebiotic Greens or Collagen Glow to water for nutrient and taste boost.
Why do you choose Raw products for your family?
I’m passionate about whole foods, and love that RAW products are made from whole foods, free from any artificial and synthetic ingredients. I’m also passionate about sustainability, so it is key for me that Amazonia use Fair Trade and organic where possible ingredients, choose recycled packaging and donate to environmental projects. I’m also all about boosting the nutrient value of foods, and so love that I can sneak some added collagen protein and greens into my kids smoothies without them noticing. Because in the end of the day, it all comes down to taste and Amazonia products are not only nutrient dense but delicious!
Go to Family friendly immune boosting recipe!
I love my Immune Glow Tonic -a wholefood based modern take on the traditional folk fire cider immune tonic recipe.
Recipe: Makes approx 1 litre
Ginger- large knob
Garlic- 1 head
Turmeric root: 1–2 pieces
Cinnamon Stick: 1–2
Peppercorns: 1 dessert spoon
Lemongrass: 1 piece
Raw unfiltered honey: 1 tablespoon
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother in it, live, unfiltered, unbleached, non-distilled)
RAW Vitamin C- 2 tablespoons
1. Chop or coarsely grate all the ingredients and mix together. A food processer or highspeed blender makes this step very easy- just leave ingredients chopped and not liquid! Rubber gloves are handy here to avoid the turmeric stains.
2. Fill the jar to 3⁄4 full with the chopped/grated ingredients, then top up with Apple Cider Vinegar to 2–4 cm below the rim depending on the size of your batch.
3. Close firmly and shake to get rid of air bubbles, then top up if required with more Apple Cider Vinegar and close firmly.
5. Ferment on the kitchen bench in a cool, dark corner out of direct sunlight for two weeks. Wrap in a tea towel, if necessary, to keep sunlight out.
6. Stir occasionally or give the bottle a shake when you pass it on the kitchen bench.
7. Strain after 14 days, though it can be left up to 28 days. Strain through a coffee filter or through cotton to remove sediment. After straining, sediment will continue to sink to the bottom and is quite normal.
8. Bottle, label/date and pop in the fridge.
9. Take a daily immune boost shot